We're Hiring!

generating/attaching/retrieving a non-OMERO related file

General and open developer discussion about using OMERO APIs from C++, Java, Python, Matlab and more! Please new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero
Please note:
Historical discussions about OMERO. Please look for and ask new questions at https://forum.image.sc/tags/omero

If you are having trouble with custom code, please provide a link to a public repository, ideally GitHub.

generating/attaching/retrieving a non-OMERO related file

Postby bhcho » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:42 pm

Hi All,

I'm trying to generate an output file from my Script in OMERO.Insight and attach it to a dataset.
Later from another Script, I also want to retrieve that output file, given the dataset ID.

Could anyone help me about this?
I'm trying to generate a pickle file that packs a complex data as the following python snippet

Code: Select all
# for generating a pickle file
import pickle
output = open('model.pkl','wb')
pickle.dump(final_model, output)  # final_model: a complex data variable
output.close()

# for retrieving the pickle file
import pickle
pkl_file = open('model.pkl','rb')
final_model2 = pickle.load(pkl_file)

BK
bhcho

Re: generating/attaching/retrieving a non-OMERO related file

Postby wmoore » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi,

This is quite common behavior.
All the 'Figure' scripts E.g. 'Thumbnail Figure' save their output as attachments to E.g Image or Dataset.
In fact, you can do it with a single call: scriptUtil.uploadAndAttachFile(), documented here http://hudson.openmicroscopy.org.uk/job ... AttachFile

Below is some sample code from Thumbnail Figure script. See http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero ... _Figure.py

import omero.util.script_utils as scriptUtil
format = "image/png"

parent = gateway.getDataset(Id, False)    # parent can be omero.model.ImageI or DatasetI or ProjectI

output = "thumbnailFigure.png"   
figure.save(output, "PNG")        # simply writes to a file in the current directory

# uploads the file to the server, attaching it to the 'parent' Project/Dataset as an OriginalFile annotation,
# with the figLegend as the description. Returns the fileAnnotation object
fileAnnotation = scriptUtil.uploadAndAttachFile(queryService, updateService, rawFileStore, parent, output, format, figLegend)

client.setOutput("File_Annotation", robject(fileAnnotation))

If you want to be able to identify the file uniquely E.g. from your second script, you could give the file a meaningful namespace. E.g. 'omero.constants.metadata.NSMOVIE' (see the method docs above).

To download the file again, you can use the downloadFile(), also from the script_utils package.
http://hudson.openmicroscopy.org.uk/job ... wnloadFile
But you first need to retrieve your file - probably using the queryservice.

I just cobbled together this example, so I'm not sure it works - but hopefully you should be able to work the rest out for yourself.

dal = queryService.findByQuery("select dal from DatasetAnnotationLink as dal " \
                    "join fetch dal.child as fileAnn " \
                    "join dal.parent as dataset " \
                    "where dataset.id = %s and " \
                    "fileAnn.ns = %s" % (datasetId, yourNameSpace) , None)

originalFile = dal.child.file

for file in dataset.
filePath = scriptUtil.downloadFile(rawFileStore, originalFile)
print "Saved file at:", filePath
f = open(filePath)

Hope that helps,

Will
wmoore
Team Member

Postby bhcho » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi Will,

Thanks so much for the answer.
The attachment was successful, but for the retrieving, i have the following error.
I used the namespace of "omero.constants.metadata.CLASSIFIER" for the file.
and the dataset ID 452 clearly has the attached file of "final_model.pkl" when I look at the OMERO.Insight

Could you figure out which part has the problem with my code?
the code is
            dal = queryService.findByQuery("select dal from DatasetAnnotationLink as dal " \
                    "fileAnn.ns = %s" % (ClassfierdatasetID, namesp_classfier) , None)

* Traceback (most recent call last):
        *   File "./script", line 399, in <module>
        *     runAsScript()
        *   File "./script", line 367, in runAsScript
        *     "fileAnn.ns = %s" % (ClassfierdatasetID, namesp_classfier) , None)
        *   File "/usr0/local/omero.server/OMERO.server-Beta-4.2.1/lib/python/omero_api_IQuery_ice.py", line 132, in findByQuery
        *     return _M_omero.api.IQuery._op_findByQuery.invoke(self, ((query, params), _ctx))
        * omero.QueryException: exception ::omero::QueryException
        * {
        *     serverStackTrace = ome.services.query.QueryException: Illegal query:select dal from DatasetAnnotationLink as dal join fetch dal.child as fileAnn join dal.parent as dataset where dataset.id = 452 and fileAnn.ns = omero.constants.metadata.CLASSIFIER
        * Invalid path: 'omero.constants.metadata.CLASSIFIER' [select dal from ome.model.annotations.DatasetAnnotationLink as dal join fetch dal.child as fileAnn join dal.parent as dataset where dataset.id = 452 and fileAnn.ns = omero.constants.metadata.CLASSIFIER]
        *       at ome.services.query.StringQuery.buildQuery(StringQuery.java:60)
        *       at ome.services.query.Query.doInHibernate(Query.java:222)
        *       at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTemplate.doExecute(HibernateTemplate.java:406)
        *       at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTemplate.execute(HibernateTemplate.java:339)
        *       at ome.logic.QueryImpl.execute(QueryImpl.java:141)
        *       at ome.logic.QueryImpl.findByQuery(QueryImpl.java:337)
        *       at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor530.invoke(Unknown Source)
        *       at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        *       at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
        *       at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:307)
        *       at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:183)
        *       at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150)
        *       at ome.security.basic.EventHandler.invoke(EventHandler.java:157)
        *       at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)
        *       at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateInterceptor.invoke(HibernateInterceptor.java:111)
        *       at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)
        *       at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invoke(TransactionInterceptor.java:108)
        *       at ome.tools.hibernate.ProxyCleanupFilter$Interceptor.invoke(ProxyCleanupFilter.java:231)
        *       at ome.services.util.ServiceHandler.invoke(ServiceHandler.java:111)
        *       at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:202)
        *       at $Proxy52.findByQuery(Unknown Source)
        *       at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor530.invoke(Unknown Source)
        *       at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        *       at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:307)
        *       at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:183)
        *       at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150)
        *       at ome.security.basic.BasicSecurityWiring.invoke(BasicSecurityWiring.java:83)
        *       at ome.services.blitz.fire.AopContextInitializer.invoke(AopContextInitializer.java:40)
        *       at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:202)
        *       at $Proxy52.findByQuery(Unknown Source)
        *       at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor579.invoke(Unknown Source)
        *       at ome.services.blitz.util.IceMethodInvoker.invoke(IceMethodInvoker.java:179)
        *       at ome.services.throttling.Callback.run(Callback.java:56)
        *       at ome.services.throttling.InThreadThrottlingStrategy.callInvokerOnRawArgs(InThreadThrottlingStrategy.java:56)
        *       at ome.services.blitz.impl.AbstractAmdServant.callInvokerOnRawArgs(AbstractAmdServant.java:136)
        *       at ome.services.blitz.impl.QueryI.findByQuery_async(QueryI.java:92)
        *       at omero.api._IQueryTie.findByQuery_async(_IQueryTie.java:113)
        *       at omero.api._IQueryDisp.___findByQuery(_IQueryDisp.java:342)
        *       at omero.api._IQueryDisp.__dispatch(_IQueryDisp.java:508)
        *       at IceInternal.Incoming.invoke(Incoming.java:159)
        *       at Ice.ConnectionI.invokeAll(ConnectionI.java:2037)
        *       at Ice.ConnectionI.message(ConnectionI.java:972)
        *       at IceInternal.ThreadPool.run(ThreadPool.java:577)
        *       at IceInternal.ThreadPool.access$100(ThreadPool.java:12)
        *       at IceInternal.ThreadPool$EventHandlerThread.run(ThreadPool.java:971)
        *     serverExceptionClass = ome.services.query.QueryException
        *     message = Illegal query:select dal from DatasetAnnotationLink as dal join fetch dal.child as fileAnn join dal.parent as dataset where dataset.id = 452 and fileAnn.ns = omero.constants.metadata.CLASSIFIER
        * Invalid path: 'omero.constants.metadata.CLASSIFIER' [select dal from ome.model.annotations.DatasetAnnotationLink as dal join fetch dal.child as fileAnn join dal.parent as dataset where dataset.id = 452 and fileAnn.ns = omero.constants.metadata.CLASSIFIER]
        * }
bhcho

Postby jmoore » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:57 pm

BK,

in the formatting two apostrophes apparently got lost. Try:
                    "fileAnn.ns = '%s' " % (ClassfierdatasetID, namesp_classfier) , None)

In general, though, it is safer to use Parameters:

params = omero.sys.ParametersI()
            params.addLong("id", ClassifierdatasetID);
            params.addString("ns", namesp_classfier)
                    "where dataset.id = :id and " \
                    "fileAnn.ns = :ns ", params)

Cheers,
~Josh
jmoore
Site Admin

Postby bhcho » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:40 pm

Hi Josh,

Thanks, and now I got the following error.
my code is as follows.
I'm sorry about so many detailed questions.

BK

params.addLong("id", ClassfierdatasetID);
            params.addString("ns", namesp_classfier)

print "Saved file at:", filePath
            f = open(filePath)

* filePath = scriptUtil.downloadFile(rawFileStore, originalFile)
* File "/usr0/local/omero.server/OMERO.server-Beta-4.2.1/lib/python/omero/util/script_utils.py", line 245, in downloadFile
* fileSize = originalFile.getSize().getValue()
* File "/usr0/local/omero.server/OMERO.server-Beta-4.2.1/lib/python/omero_model_OriginalFileI.py", line 294, in getSize
* self.errorIfUnloaded()
* File "/usr0/local/omero.server/OMERO.server-Beta-4.2.1/lib/python/omero_model_OriginalFileI.py", line 47, in errorIfUnloaded
* raise _omero.UnloadedEntityException("Object unloaded:"+str(self))
* omero.UnloadedEntityException: Object unloaded:object #0 (::omero::model::OriginalFile)
* {
* _id = object #1 (::omero::RLong)
* {
* _val = 7026
* }
* _details = <nil>
* _loaded = False
* _version = <nil>
* _pixelsFileMapsSeq =
* {
* }
* _pixelsFileMapsLoaded = False
* _pixelsFileMapsCountPerOwner =
* {
* }
* _path = <nil>
* _size = <nil>
* _atime = <nil>
* _mtime = <nil>
* _ctime = <nil>
* _sha1 = <nil>
* _mimetype = <nil>
* _annotationLinksSeq =
* {
* }
* _annotationLinksLoaded = False
* _annotationLinksCountPerOwner =
* {
* }
* _name = <nil>
* }
bhcho

Postby wmoore » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi,

I think you need to load (fetch) the file in the query.
Try adding "join fetch fileAnn.file" in this context...

join fetch dal.child as fileAnn
join fetch fileAnn.file
join dal.parent as dataset

See if that works!
wmoore
Team Member

Postby bhcho » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Thanks Will and Josh,

It finally works!!!!

BK
bhcho

Postby wmoore » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Final thought: You should probably choose a nicer namespace that would enable someone else getting info from your server to know what application etc the data came from. This avoids confusion with namespaces that are part of the OMERO clients' behavior etc.

Something like:

AppName.scriptName.Variable

Whatever seems sensible to you!

Will.
wmoore
Team Member

Postby bhcho » Fri May 06, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi all,

I'd like to ask a follow-up question.
Currently, I'm retrieving the non-OMERO attachment file from a dataset by
(for a specific namespace)
                params.addLong("id", My_datasetID);
                params.addString("ns", My_namesp)
                        "join fetch fileAnn.file " \

it seems like "originalFile" is a file object. but how can I get the file name?

If there are multiple files with the same namespace, how can I get all the files at once (and their filenames)?

how can I retrieve just one file with a specific file name?

thanks in advance,
BK
bhcho

Postby jmoore » Fri May 06, 2011 7:41 pm

Hi BK,

bhcho wrote:1. it seems like "originalFile" is a file object. but how can I get the file name?

omero.model.OriginalFile objects have a "name" and a "path" field. You may also want to use "mimetype".

2. If there are multiple files with the same namespace, how can I get all the files at once (and their filenames)?

Use something like:
                        "join fetch fileAnn.file as file " \
                        "fileAnn.ns = :ns and file.name = :name", params)

3. how can I retrieve just one file with a specific file name?

What do you mean? findByQuery always returns on element.

thanks in advance,
BK

Cheers,
~Josh
jmoore
Site Admin

Next

Return to Developer Discussion